Creating a tasty, yet health side dish, is sometimes challenging. I find this green asparagus, with bacon, parmesan and salvia very delicious and it fits perfectly into the picture as a side dish for red meat, chicken or even fish. It´s as well quite healthy as green asparagus is a premium source of Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and Selenium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese. Wow!
- Servings: 3
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Baking time: 20 minutes
400g green Asparagus
50g Cheddar and Mozarella Cheese
1 tsp Salt
8 medium sized fresh salvia leaves
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 253 kcal
- Cut the aspargus tail off, leaving only the non-wood part of the asparagus. If you need to cut off too much, peel off some skin from the end until no wooden texture is remaining.
- Blanche the asparagus in salted water for around 8-12 minutes (it depends on how thick the asparagus is). It shouldn´t become too tender but still be a bit above firm to the bite.
- Pre-heat oven to 175 Celsius (air circulation), 200 Celsius normal oven.
- Roll the asparagus in 2-3 stripes of bacon, 4 sticks at the time (You should get around 3 rolls with this method, assuming 400g of green asparagus makes 12 sticks). Divide the cheese by half. Half of the cheese Parmesan and Cheddar Mozarella mix go into each of the rolls, the rest on top before baking. Before you close the bacon roll, add 2-3 leaves of salvia into the role (Do not include in the cheese but between the bacon.)
- Put the rolls into a baking form, sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let it bake for 15-20 minutes. The rolls are ready when the cheese has browned and is a bit crispy.
You can serve this side dish with a lot of mains, such as steak, sausages, chicken in all variants, fish or simple with an omelette of your choice. Really a nice complementary dish.
Let me know if you liked it and what dish you created with it.