Winter times always require a warm meal, and there is nothing better than a soup! Soups are always a great option to break your fast so I would recommend introducing it to your weekly schedule.
This meatball soup is the best recipe for anyone doing keto (or not!)There are so many ways to enjoy a low carb meal so you really don’t have an excuse this time! The only ingredient we skip from the higher-carb version is adding to the meatballs rice, but will not change in anyway the taste. This particular recipe is also extra creamy as we are adding an egg sauce at the end, which is a traditional way to finish a soup in Greece.
It is very easy to make, so let’s have a look!
- 500gr minced meat
- Finely chopped spearmint
- Parsley, dill
- Salt, pepper
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 onion
- peels from 1 lemon
- 1lt water or chicken broth
For the creamy sauce
- 2 eggs
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt, pepper
- Some extra dill
- For the meat balls. Saute the finely chopped onion and garlic for a few minutes. Mix all the ingredients and make some nice balls
- Place in a big bowl and let the meat balls sit for a few minutes.
- Pour the water (or broth) into a pot with the meat-balls, onion, lemon peels and carrot and bring to boil. Simmer the soup for 20-30 minutes.
- 5 minutes before it is done take the eggs and whisk them in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and dill.
- Now take a dipper and take some of the boiling water and slowly pour into the egg mix while whisking. Repeat 3 times. Intention is to cook the eggs but don’t make an omelet. Take the mix and pour back into the soup. Give it a few seconds to combine while moving around the pot and remove from the heat.
- Serve with some olive oil and some feta on the side!