Looking for alternatives for your breakfast and getting your potassium? Making a green smoothie can be a tasty, easy option!
Potassium is a key electrolyte which we have already discussed in detail here. The special thing about potassium is that we need a huge amount every day. In specific 4700mg per day. The easiest way to get the needed RDA is to eat plenty of green vegetables. This would amount to about 7-10 cups of vegetables which for some people can be a bit to much when you are not used to eating salads.
If that is you, then a green smoothie can be a great option to increase your daily veggie intake and introduce more variety to your breakfast. The options are endless and you could just add what you already have in your fridge, but below is my favourite
- Servings : 1 person
- Preparation time : 2 minutes
- 100 grams of kale / spinach
- 50 grams of parsley / coriander
- 1/4 of avocado
- 1 stick of celery
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Cold water (preferably ice cubes) or Almond Milk
- 1tbs : Olive Oil / Cocunut Oil
- To taste : Salt / Pepper / Chilli / Ginger / Kurcuma
- Optional : a handful of blackberries or boiled beets
- Optional : Chia seed for spinkling
Kale and Parsley are ideal sources for potassium but not only. You get all already all you need for some other key Vitamins.
- Rouphy chop the ingredients and put in the blender. Blend for a few secs.
- Bring to taste and serve!
- Dont over-consume avocado to keep the right o3 : o6 ratio. Ideally we would like to keep to at a 1:1 ratio
- Adding fat like oliver oil helps with the absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins.
- Prefer a salad to a smoothie when possible. Chewing your food triggers saliva and a number of enzymes to prepare and help the digestion.