Folate is the key that unlocks your energy is so many areas. It supports a system known as methylation which does many things such as
- Reduce allergies
- Makes your mind more flexible
- Helps in making creatine, which in turn helps with depression, digestion,eyesight and skin
- Clears homocysteine
- Boosts the levels of choline
- Helps with histamine metabolism
- Folate also prevents anemia, which keeps us feeling energized
It is quite difficult to say how much folate we need, since all the B-Vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium play a role into the methylation process. The official RDA however is 400mg
How to get the folate you need
Folate is abundant in the three “L”
- Leafy greens
- Liver but you should only eat it once or twice in a week
- 2 servings of Chickpeas
- 2 servings of Leaks, spinash, brocolli
- Folate is stable-ish during cooking but you will need to eat more when cooking. Vegetables should be fresh!
- Folate is lost during rinsing of veggies. It’s the cut surfaces that lose folate, so always rinse before you cut not after.
- Pastured raised chicken eggs have many times more folate.
- Note that usually flour is enriched with folate, so if you are in the process of reducing wheat you need to be aware of not becoming deficient.
Thing to avoid
- Avoid Folic Acid
- Avoid alcohol and smoking