Filter your water please
As we are reaching summer, we all know we need to drink more water. Sweating makes us thirsty which is a sign of the body telling us it needs to be hydrated. But not any water will do.
As you probably know water is H2O, so hydrogen and oxygen. But when we drink water we also drink everything contained in it. Some elements are essential for our health, but unfortunately there numerous toxins in the normal tap water and some of them are very dangerous. So filter your water please!
You’re probably familiar with the fact that the human body is made up of roughly 60% water. What’s less apparent is the impact proper hydration has on our bodies. From head to toe, water influences the optimal functioning of all of our organs. Here are a few big ways hydration keeps us healthy:
- It supports healthy energy levels and optimal brain function. The brain is one organ that relies heavily on good hydration. Even being mildly dehydrated—feeling thirsty, having darker urine—has been associated with impaired brain function. Conversely, keeping ourselves hydrated can contribute to more energy, better mood, and improved memory and brain performance.
- It’s one of the best cures for headaches. If you have a headache, it’s one of the best indicators of mild dehydration. If you experience them frequently, or are a common sufferer of migraine symptoms, consuming more water may help to improve headache symptoms and decrease their frequency.
- It optimizes our physical performance. The perfect companion to new year’s goals of more time spent at the gym, regular walks, or longer runs, staying hydrated can ensure that we’re at our peak physical performance. This is particularly important as exercise can mean a loss of up to 10% of our water weight via sweat! By having water throughout the day, we can ensure better temperature control and even reduce fatigue and boost feelings of motivation.
- It can support weight loss efforts. As another common new year’s resolution, drinking plenty of water can also aid in weight loss. Drinking water 30 minutes before meals can increase feelings of fullness, often translating to eating less. Beyond that, increased water intake has been associated with slight increases in metabolism.
- Now we also know, through the work of Dr.Hussey, how important water is for keeping our heart healthy and our arteries clean.
- Water has a range of benefits and in many cases the only thing we need to improve our health is to listen to our thirst!
Elements in water
Good water should come with minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, iron, zinc
That is why many people prefer bottled water since, unlike tap water, mineral water is bottled at the source and is considered better quality.
What we drink from the normal tap water does not only contain minerals. It also contains numerous toxins, which unfortunately not legally forbidden yet and no standards exist for them. Reports state tap water can contain even up to 250 toxins! Some of them are :
- Arsenic: The problem is contaminated soil. The arsenic used in industrial manufacturing leeks into the soil, the ground water, and eventually, the drinking water. Along with being a well-known poison, small amounts can cause several types of cancers in adults, and developmental delays in children.
- Chlorine: While chlorine kills pathogens in water, itself is so dangerous. It’s been linked to higher levels of cancer, birth defects, and heart attacks. Chlorine bonds with microscopic particles called trihalomethanes in the water, which produces the free radicals that cause oxidative stress and cell damage. Chlorine is dangerous, contributing to respiratory illness, memory loss, and balance issues.
- Chloroform: Chloroform isn’t added directly to the water, but chlorine is-and chloroform is a by-product of chlorine combining with water. In spite of the fact that it increases the risk of cancer and can damage the nervous system.
- Chromium-6: A known carcinogen, chromium-6 can also cause burns, pneumonia, and difficulties during childbirth.
- Fluoride: While adding fluoride to the water supply in the 1940s may have made sense, the use of fluoride now days has been linked to the rise of ADHA in children and adolescents.
- Lead: Along with the developmental delays, brain damage, and physical disabilities children face, lead exposure can also result in organ damage, prostate cancer, and reproductive issues in adults.
- Plastics: Recent research has found that more than 80% of the global water supply contains microscopic plastic particles which can damage our internal organs. Just as dangerous, the plastic has been shown to have absorbed chemicals before entering the water. These chemicals are then released into the body, causing their own damage.
- Every region world wide will have different quality water, but since water quality is not regulated according to the standards we believe it should the only way you can ensure your safety is by creating your own filtered water, so you know for sure that the water you’re drinking is safe, pure and contaminant-free.
What can you do
- Avoid tap water: This is a first important step in the right direction since I consider tap water dangerous. You should at least get your water tested so you can make up your mind.
- Drink bottled glass water: Drinking from glass bottles is a good option. There are brands that provide high quality mineral water. You need to avoid plastic bottles as much as possible since plastics contain and hazardous chemicals, including endocrine-disrupting chemicals that threaten human health.
- Buy a filter system: Get a filtering system that removes as much toxins as possible and that are certified. The systems we recommend and are the state of the art are the reverse-osmosis filters. Other options are pitcher filters, bottle filters, gravity filters all of which don’t have the same effectiveness.
When I stopped drinking tap water I first used Brita, which is a popular option. However Brita and similar filters won’t cut it. It is certified standards 42 and 53 & 401 and will reduce 97% of chlorine and 60 other contaminants.
I finally decided I had to upgrade to a better system which can filter 99% of the toxins and this a reverse-osmosis filter. A Reverse-Osmosis System for the home has been found to be the best option, but a built-in, under-the-counter installation is expensive to install and a huge hassle to maintain. That’s why I am using AquaTru, a countertop Water Filtration system. It works without any plumbing or installation and makes great tasting water that I know is safe and pure. AquaTru (as other similar systems) comply to NSF standards to remove 83 contaminants by IAPMO (International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials ).
- Biohack your health by drinking the best possible water. This is something we do every day and we need to avoid putting chemicals into our body.
- Whatever option you choose avoid drinking tap water as much as possible. If you decide to go with AquaTru you can order it here and get a discount.