A must have soup – Mageiritsa
Greek Magiritsa soup
- 200 gr of beef liver cut in pieces.
- 200 gr of beef or chicken heart cut in pieces
- 1 lt of chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 100 gr of lettuce
- 2-3 fresh onions
- 60 gr of dill
- Olive oil
- Salt pepper
- 2 eggs
- Juice and zest for 1 lemon
- Apart from chopping the ingredients there is no preparation required.
- It would be good to have prepared some chicken broth from boiling water with chicken bones and a couple of bay leaves. In either case water will also do.
- Cook one onion / garlic with some olive oil at moderate heat.
- Optionally add some white wine and cook until it evaporates.
- Add the chicken broth and bring it to boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add the hearts and let cook for a few minutes
- Add the liver
- Let the soup cook for 10 minutes at low temperature.
- Add fresh onions and dill and the lettuce and some olive oil .
- Add the egg-lemon sauce into the soup and simmer in very low heat for a minute.
- For the egg-lemon sauce
- Add in a bowl the lemon juice, zest, 2 eggs, and some salt / pepper. Mix.
- Then slowly add little-by-little some of the boiling broth from the soup. Mix all the time to slowly cook the eggs.
- Pour the bowl back into the soup.
- Feel free to add some chicken pieces as well.
- For those that are not fond of the beef liver(and smell) you can use chicken livers. The benefits are similar and the taste more refined.
- Adding hearts besides the nutritional benefits, and nice taste will also give a different texture to your soup. Always use them!
- Keep the lettuce crunchy by not over cooking for a better result. 1-2 minutes is just enough to keep the crunchy texture.
- The egg-lemon sauce will give a great taste to your soup and make it more dense. It is used in many soups in the Greek cuisine. In order to avoid the eggs turning into an omelette ensure you mix into the soupe into a low heat.
Wow, there’s a recipy I didn’t think so far with liver(and I am Greek!!). Just a question, if I do not use hearts and use normal meet, chicken or beef would it be Ok? Have you tried only with liver?
Hearts are not to my taste…
Hey! Chicken is always a good option. Give it a try!