We have discussed plenty of times on the unique benefits of liver and I will repeat it. You need to integrate into your lifestyle eating a nose to tail diet! And there is no tastier way to do it than a Greek favourite “Mageiritsa”.
Mageiritsa is a dish that is mostly served before Easter and to break the 40-days no-meat fast. Which makes total sense with all the nutrients packed in liver and the rest of the organ meats. Unfortunately liver is not on most people’s favourite list but with this recipe you will totally get hooked! It certainly has hooked me, to the point I have it almost every week!
- Servings: 5-6
- Preparation time: 2 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 200 gr of beef liver cut in pieces.
- 200gr of beef (or chicken) heart cut in pieces
- 1lt of chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 100 gr of spinach (or lettuce)
- 2-3 fresh onions
- 60 gr of dill
- Olive oil
- Salt , pepper
- 2 eggs
- Juice and zest for 1 lemon
Nutrients per serving
- Calories: 291 kcal
- Protein: 30g
- Carbs: 6g
- Fat: 15g
- RDAs : More than 100% of Vitamin-A : 500%, B2, B5, B12, Vitamin-K, Copper, Iron per serving
- Apart from chopping the ingredients there is no preparation required.
- It would be good to have prepared some chicken broth from boiling water with chicken bones and a couple of bay leaves. In either case water will also do.
- Cook one onion / garcil with some olive oil at moderate heat.
- Optionnally add some white wine and cook until it evaporates.
- Add the chicken broth and bring it to boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add the hearts and let cook for a few minutes
- Add the liver and then add the spinach/ lettuce
- Let the soup cook for 10 minutes at low temperature.
- Add fresh onions and dill and some olive oil
- Add the egg-lemon sauce into the soup and cook for one more minute
- Taste and you are ready!!
For the egg-lemon sauce
- Add in a bowl the lemon juice, zest, 2 eggs, and some salt / pepper. Mix.
- Then slowly add little-by-little some of the boiling broth from the soup. Mix all the time to slowly cook the eggs.
- Pour the bowl back into the soup.
- Feel free to add some chicken pieces as well.
- Adding hearts besides the nutritional benefits, and nice taste will also give a different texture to your soup. Always use them!
- Keep the spinach crunchy by not over cooking for a better result.
- The egg-lemon sauce will give a great taste to your soup and make it more dense. It is used in many soups in the Greek cuisine.